Yesterday was...eventful...Dan picked up Michael at school. Then they went and bought football supplies for Steven's new team. Then they stopped at the Salvation Army to drop off a donation. And that's when the chaos began. Dan's truck started literally wigging out - it wouldn't start, it wouldn't go into gear, there was this loud clicking noise like a time bomb about to explode, there was a burning sulphur smell intermittently wafting up from under the hood. It was crazy. I called AAA then went to rescue Michael. Dan waited for 1-1/2 hours for the tow truck. In the meantime, the truck kept clicking away, then the windows started going up and down on their own, the radio turned on and off, I'm telling you, it was like the stupid thing was demon-possessed! Then it all stopped. The battery finally went dead. In the meantime, I went to pick up Steven at school. Then I went home and started making dinner. I knew Dan would be calling me for a ride home from the Ford dealer, so I quickly began boiling a huge pot of water for pasta. Made a great sauce from fresh basil, fabulous sausage from Trader Joe's, and marinara sauce from TJ's. All this took about 15 minutes. Then I decided to throw a loaf of crusty Italian bread in the oven. I reached across the stove, past the pot of boiling water and the pan of simmering sauce, and turned the oven on to 400 degrees. I felt what I thought was steam escaping from the boiling pot of water burning my side so I jumped back a little from the stove. OW - that was hot! And then I saw the flames...they were on the side of my shirt, quickly burning up my shirt. I actually had on a spandex/polyester black tank top with a rayon, Christmassy red blouse on top and the red blouse was rapidly being consumed by flames and I was still wearing it! I started panicking and somehow got the blouse off and into the sink where I doused it with water. Meanwhile, my phone was ringing incessantly - it was Dan needing a ride home. I turned off the oven. Turned off the stove. Put on a shirt that wasn't burned, and went to pick up Dan.
All last night I kept thinking about those flames - they could have easily reached my hair and the whole kitchen could have gone right up in flames so quickly - I am really grateful that God protected me and my family and our home.